7.26.2012

misunderstood.

"necesita un intérprete?" i asked the woman coming toward me. she gave me a puzzled look, and with broken english, she told me that she didn't understand that much english.

right, i thought, which is precisely why...my thoughts trailed off as a lady i was working with overheard our conversation and quickly ushered the spanish interpreter in our direction. we sat down, and i looked at her chart, listening attentively as she did her best to articulate her words.  the interpreter smiled at me as she sat quietly beside the sweet lady.  after finishing her health history and admission requirements, i thanked her and asked her to go back to the waiting room.

there, in plain sight, i read: Ethnicity: Asian. awesome.

in my defense, her last name rhymed with corazón (heart in spanish), and she looked to be more of Pacific Islander descent. anyone else would be understandably confused.  i pointed to the chart, smiling at the interpreter.  "whoops," i said.  "i know," she smiled,"i noticed that right after sitting down." 


this made me think of my interactions with others.  i get so excited to share my faith with nonbelievers, only to sometimes feel somewhat defeated. why?  because i am not speaking their language. i tell them why Jesus is so amazing, and i'm sure it sounds pretty, but sometimes someone just isn't ready to receive it.  i'm sure that sweet lady in the clinic wanted to understand everything i was saying.  but she was only capable of picking up on a few words because she wasn't equipped with the adequate resources to  fully comprehend.  i didn't have the right interpreter present.

Isaiah 55:11 says, "so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it." 

do i stop?  no. i have so much hope for the unreached people.  i remember listening when i was younger, but i wasn't able to grasp the magnitude of the message.  eventually, it will click.  God always wins!

No comments:

Post a Comment